And the good folk of Eliassen Rorbuer, Hamnøy, in Norway’s Lofoten Islands have found the perfect way to turn up the heat once a year.
Working with Arctic Holiday – specialists in organising trips and activities for individuals and groups wanting to explore Arctic destinations – they play host to a boutique electronica/jazz festival.
Festival Elijazzen has been building a reputation and increasing in popularity over the past years. Regular visitors from Norway are now being joined by jazz fans from all over the world.
The festival, taking place from April 30 to May 2, caters for around 1,000 people, and, not surprisingly, it’s a cosy affair with artists hanging out in the bar with guests after the gigs.
One of the concerts is booked on a tiny island outside Hamnøy only reachable by boat. The walk to Bunes beach with artists and festival goers is a highlight of the three-day festival.
Accommodation for the festival is in the famous red fishermen’s cabins of the Lofoten islands, which have featured in everything from National Geographic to the cover of Lonely planet.
- Krambua Thursday 30 April: Norvoll/Sandvik duo (Marit Sandvik vocal and Øystein Norvoll guitar)
- Krambua Friday 1 May: Eberson
- Krambua Friday 1 May: DJ Kristoffer Eikrem
- Lydersen rorbuer Saturday 2 May: Eikrem & Baksaas elektronika duo
- Krambua Saturday 2 May: Roger Johansen Group (sextet)
Arctic Holiday if offering the trip to the Festival Elijazzen with tickets and superior accommodation from £324.
Check out the festival’s location in the Lofoten islands here.
- Northern Lights
- Humpback whale safaris
- Fun in the snow (dog sledding, cross country skiing, skidoo-ing, reindeer sledding etc)
- Genuine experiences with local food, tradition and people as a focus
- Ski touring